[rescue] Any HP/Nextstep PA gurus about?

Gerhard Lenerz mail at g-lenerz.de
Fri Feb 20 02:54:15 CST 2004

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 22:19:32 -0600
William Barnett-Lewis <wlewis at mailbag.com> wrote:

> So the question is - just how fussy is the 715 about bootable cdrom
> drives? I have my 512k block 4x Plextor installed that boots sun, sgi,
> vax, etc. with no problem but I'm getting a "boot process failed" error.

I've used Plextors (UltraPlex 32x) successfully on any HP9000 I own
so far (710, 720, older 715) without problems. Maybe it's possible
that older drives cause more trouble.

The only system I wasn't able to boot with it was a VAXstation 3100.

> Any hints? Or anyone with an old HP A2655 or Toshiba XM-3401 for me to
> borrow or buy?

You could try setting the SCSI IDs the other way round (i.e. give the
lower SCSI ID to the boot device). I seem to recall that there was some
trick there - can't exactly remember what it was though. I can only
confirm that it is possible to get NS 3.3 on a 715 (715/33 in my case).

--
Freeware for IRIX 6.x/5.x/4.x
http://sgistuff.g-lenerz.de/downloads/