Analog & digital (was Re: [rescue] power distribution system?)

Thomas Gallaway rescue at port11.net
Tue Feb 17 10:24:06 CST 2004

Francois Dion wrote:

---snip---

> I like both analog and digital gear, but some of the older stuff is
> really finicky. I used to have a lot of time and would modify and make
> my own modules. But I only had some very quiet (RF and EM wise) PC
> equipment (a laptop and a fully shielded PC with a Gravis Ultrasound
> that I had modified to have balanced in/out and bypassed the mixer
> circuit completely) near that stuff.

I have a M-Audio Delta44 right now. Has 4 inputs and 4 outputs. Pretty
happy with it. Runs really stable
and next to no outputnoise. Using the M-Audio ASIO Drivers.

> Some of the more obscure digital synths had big computers tied to
> them. Now, that would be a cool rescue. UWaterloo had a Lyre some
> years back, very cool machine. It had a huge number of LEDs (it looked
> in fact kind of like a Connection Machine in a nice mahogany console,
> hehehe). The Lyre probably used some 16 bit processors. A friend who
> worked with me at Videoway had worked on the software for the Lyre (he
> had worked on the Adlib soundcard too, remember those?).

I would love to play with one of those some day. Do they still exist?
All I had was a Juno 1 and a Roland TB-606. The TR-606 had midi so I
could sync cubase with it and then
send the sync signal out over CV to the Juno 1 what controlled the
appregiator. Well then I had a bunch of
other analog equipment. Doepfer MS-404, Oberheim Matrix (actually is
digital), some old hammond.
Digital equipment I used to have was various effect boxes, Akai S2000,
Akai S3000XL, Quasimidi Quasar,
Korg EA-1, Korg EM-1, Yamaha drum machine (forgot the model#).

Now I am doing all digital within Cubase using virtual instruments. Why
bother learning all the external gear
if I can now focuse more on actually making music. I create the track
within cubase vst, then render the
output in 24/96. From there I downsample it to 44.1 to burn it on CD and
keep the original on my file-
server. Of course I also keep the score file hehe..

Some of the cubase vst tracks are online here:
http://www.port11.net/~atom/bomb/

-- Thomas