[rescue] Re: [geeks] IKEA "Jerker" desk instructions?

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Sun Feb 15 22:54:32 CST 2004

On Sun, Feb 15, 2004 at 08:17:33PM -0600, Bill Bradford wrote:
> I just purchased (for $50, a great deal since there's no IKEA within 100
> miles of here) an original-version Jerker desk, but I picked it up
> unassembled.  I've got all the screws/bolts, tools, etc, but if I could
> find assembly instructions online, or have someone scan/fax me their
> instructions, that would be great...  I haven't been able to find them
> online yet.

Sounds like a great deal.  I find assembly on furniture to be mostly
pretty intuitive -- one seldom needs to refer to the instruction sheet,
except for wooden things with Weirdly Sized Bits like "entertainment
centers".

> Pictures of my desk (assembled, before I bought it):
>
> http://www.mrbill.net/jerker

Not bad.  That looks like it's lend itself REALLY well to a
semi-permanent HOTAS flight-sim setup.

My desk came from an office supply store about ten years ago as a
deeply-discounted last-of-line discontinued item.  I paid something like
$300 for what was originally a $1200 work station.  It looks kinda rough
right now because the horizontal surfaces, although very strong, very
solid heavyweight (1" thick) particle board, turned out to be skinned
with a printed paper which has been progressively peeling away from the
edges.

I'm considering making new tops for it out of about 3/4" marine ply
top-surfaced with Formica in a nice granite or marble, and probably
adding another foot to the short extension while I'm at it (and if I do
that, deepening the last two feet or so of each extension by about six
inches).

 : alaric at caerllewys.net|alaric-ruthven at earthlink.net|alaric at novylen.net  :