[rescue] [OT?] Linux on a SS2

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Sat Feb 14 20:28:45 CST 2004

On Sat, Feb 14, 2004 at 11:19:43AM -0800, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> > course, YMMV.  If you do want a SS5, I could probably send you one
> > (70MHz/64MB ram/2GB disk) for $5 or so plus shipping - they're not
> > worth much at all now-a-days, and I still have some I don't need.
>
> Amen - I just dug out my SS/5-170 (I assume, didn't check part numbers,
> but the CPU has the low-profile black fan labeled "Fujitsu," and I was
> certain it was an SS/5-170 when I put it away... Anyway, it seems
> pretty sluggish with Solaris 7, I'll probably try a more recent Solaris
> install, but I also wonder how much of my perceived "sluggishness" is
> due to the TGX/TGX+ SBUS framebuffer...

I've spent a lot of time on those SS5 upgrades for IPX machines (Cyclone
might have been the manufactor, Patrick or Mike N. should be able to say
fo rsure) with TGX buffers, and they felt sluggish on everything from
2.6 to 8.  Of course, the ones I used tended to have only 64 or
sometimes 128 megs of ram.

Still, I wouldn't mind having one.

> Still, they are nice form-factors, and if I was going to make a nice,
> small general purpose box for the home network, it is a good machine to
> work with.
>
> Of course, 256 Meg of RAM is required for maximal joy! ;^)

I think that for Solaris 8 or 9, 256 megs is the reasonable minimum,
though I suppose I haven't spent much time on values between 128 and
256.

Depends on what you are using it for though, although in this case I
mainly mean general usage.