[rescue] [OT?] Linux on a SS2

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 14 13:19:43 CST 2004

--- Patrick Finnegan <pat at computer-refuge.org> wrote:

> Personally, I'd recommend you up that to a Sun 4m processor if you
> can -
> Linux felt much less sluggish on my LX or SS5 than on my SS1.  Of

Well, the difference between an SS/1 and an SS/5 or LX is not
insignificant, on top of the known Sun4c "issues" with linux (involving
the MMU on those machines)...

> course, YMMV.  If you do want a SS5, I could probably send you one
> (70MHz/64MB ram/2GB disk) for $5 or so plus shipping - they're not
> worth much at all now-a-days, and I still have some I don't need.

Amen - I just dug out my SS/5-170 (I assume, didn't check part numbers,
but the CPU has the low-profile black fan labeled "Fujitsu," and I was
certain it was an SS/5-170 when I put it away... Anyway, it seems
pretty sluggish with Solaris 7, I'll probably try a more recent Solaris
install, but I also wonder how much of my perceived "sluggishness" is
due to the TGX/TGX+ SBUS framebuffer...

Still, they are nice form-factors, and if I was going to make a nice,
small general purpose box for the home network, it is a good machine to
work with.

Of course, 256 Meg of RAM is required for maximal joy! ;^)

=====
Lionel

"I am not into examining other peoples' dumps..." - Sheldon T. Hall