[rescue] [OT?] Linux on a SS2

Carl R. Friend crfriend at rcn.com
Sat Feb 14 19:25:28 CST 2004

   On Sat, 14 Feb 2004, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

> RedHat 6.1 on SPARC makes Windows 95 upgraded from 3.1 on a Pentium
> "TX Pro" look rock-solid stable.

   Ouch.  Given my experiences from earlier today, I'd call that
pretty accurate.  Interestingly, loading from an NFS server, the
thing worked OK and I'm on to "newer" stuff on the SS2 (but
painfully slowly).  But, slowness has a virtue -- a beer can
be had betwixt compiles!

   Thanks, very much, all for your kind input.  I had no idea that
my simple query would set off such a firestorm.

   Of course I have a little gasoline to throw on that fire myself;
I detest BSD.  Having "come up" on AT&T derivatives, the BSD bits
just seem "foreign" to me.  To sum it up:  "Two things have come out
of Berkeley -- LSD and BSD.  This is not a coincidence."

   I'll take another look at Solaris and IPF, even on an SS2 (Hell,
I'm only trying to drive a 384 kb/s DSL line).  I'll just get the
joy of learning yet another filtering syntax....

   Cheers!