[rescue] another sandia/los Alamos auction

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Fri Feb 13 19:46:28 CST 2004

Patrick Finnegan wrote:

>I guess I'm gonna have to cut in to this conversation...
>
>On Friday 13 February 2004 00:13, Dan Sikorski wrote:
>

>>Well, i guess that they're moving again, in that case.  where were
>>they before the move you're talking about?
>>

>I'm guessing he means the move they're "currently" doing... they've been
>"moving" since last September or October.  Before that, they've been
>where they are now since at least the 80s.  I know, because of some of
>the stuff that's resurfaced which has been there since then while
>they've been moving.

I guess it's been a long time coming then.....

>Actually, most/all of the labs now have SunBlade 100s due to a strange
>deal with Sun (ordering the SunBlades with a new server they were
>getting was cheaper than the server without the SunBlades...).  The
>U5's have moved to being used as workstations for grad students, profs,
>etc., and the SS5's that used to be on their desks got sent out to my
>apar^W^Wsalvage.  Actually, I haven't gone through as many as a friend
>of mine who had a pile of 30-40 of them.  I'm more into snagging the
>higher-end MCA RS/6000s lately than Sun stuff.  I've got a pair of
>desktop 66MHz Power2 boxes (3CT's) and my friend has a couple of frames
>worth of MCA SP (but only one cabinet and no switch...for now ;).

I picked up all sorts of stuff from salvage when i was there.  Sparc5's,
a pair of ultra1's for $5 each (!!!) that continue to work flawlessly.
Sgi O2, Onyx, a pair of quad-ppro machines, HP Visualize c180, nCUBE/2,
ss670, a sun rack, many monitors, the list goes on and on...

Your friend had that SP on ebay didn't he...   I was interested in it,
but backed out because it didn't have the switch.  He also had a NCR
worldmark that he was looking to unload, iirc.  Does he still have it?

>I've found some neat stuff out there... VAXstations, DECstations DEC 300
>Alphas, piles of S-100 systems, an SGI Indy, SS5's, 10s, 20s, some U1s,
>and a broken U2 and broken U30 (which got sold on ebay for "parts").
>Oh yea, and my DEC AS500/400MHz box.  I've been able to turn this into
>a bit of a side-job while helping them get rid of "such worthless
>machines" as those "darn VAXen."  Well, most of the stuff on my web
>site (which isn't quite up-to-date) originated from Purdue Salvage:
>http://computer-refuge.org/compcollect/

I'm sure you also saw the CDC Cyber 205 out there.  I have one of the
two name plates off of it.  Would you by chance the the person who has
the other?  Dave McGuire wanted that machine badly, but it was being
scrapped before he knew it was even there.

>I'm still waiting for a PDP-8 to show up out there, but I'm not too
>hopeful.  From Dave's pictures, I think his 3 (that he was willing to
>put in the picture!) are emitting gravity waves which are pulling them
>away from here, towards Florida.

You never know what they'll find someday when they decide to clean out
the basement of some of the buildings on campus....

If you find some good things out there, and care to share, I have no
problem taking a trip down there.  Actually, i've been thinking of going
down there in one of the next few weekends, i've really been itching for
a Kansas City Brisket sandwitch from the South Street Smokehouse.  (if
you haven't been there, GO NOW!*)

    -Dan Sikorski

* - i mean NOW, i don't care if they're closed for the night, go camp
out and wait!  now i'm drooling, just thinking about it.....