[rescue] another sandia/los Alamos auction

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Fri Feb 13 00:48:08 CST 2004

On Friday 13 February 2004 01:16, Stephen Sukovich wrote:
> >http://computer-refuge.org/compcollect/
>
> there was an s/390 in there.... what in the world do you do with
> that? Besides put it next to the crays menacingly?

Sorry, no Crays here.  They seem to with all the PDP-8's... in
Florida. :)  At the moment, it's actually closer to menacing my DEC
hardware (with some video editing gear in the way to protect the DEC
stuff).  Man, that thing was a beast!  When IBM quotes the weight
as >1300lbs for a rack, you can believe them!  From the weight I had to
put on the "lever" I used to lift them, it must have been about
1600-1800lbs for the one cabinet.  So, I guess it's helping to keep the
concrete slab under my apartment from floating away...

But really, it's waiting for me to get some way to boot Linux on it. I
don't have any licenses for IBM OS's, and I still need to get some DASD
(disk) for it, but I should have a line on the DASD if my 'source' ever
reappears (has anyone here talked to Sridhar lately?).  It's got 2GB of
Central Storage (RAM) and a couple of Fast Ethernet cards along with
the assortment of mainframe-esque connection cards.

Anyways, "my S/390's I/O could kick your Cray's ass."  Mmmmm...
mainframe.

Pat
--
Purdue University ITAP/RCS