[rescue] SS/10 CPU Question...

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 13 11:00:27 CST 2004

--- Joshua Boyd <jdboyd at jdboyd.net> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 13, 2004 at 08:27:06AM -0800, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> > BTW, if anyone is interested in buying either the SM71 or the two
> > HS90s from me, that would help with the decision process ;^)
>
> My memory is fuzzy. The HS90s are 100mhz?

Dunno - I spent some time on the MBUS FAQ (Thanks for hosting it
Bill!), but don't feel I know much about these CPUs yet...

> > As for the intended use of this machine, there is none, except that
> > it is not worth $$ to sell, nor maybe even ship, so I'll put it on
> > shelf, next to the dual SM81 SS/20 and the SS/5-170 that are
> > seemingly not worth shipping anymore.
> >
> > Sigh, "The Island of Undervalued Sun Workstations."
>
> I would consider all of them at least worth shipping.  I'd even
> consider them worth buying if it weren't for a perenial cash
shortage.

Well, to be honest, I put more money into, say, the SS/20 than I could
ever get out of it ($50 for the CPUs, who knows what I spent on the 8
Meg VSIMMs and Aux. Video card, slim CD and the 6x 64 Meg DIMMs) - I've
easily spent $125 on the box over time, and I think I'd be lucky to
find someone to give me $30 for the system, and then pay $10-15 to ship
it, since that is what U1s are going for. ;^)

> However, collecting machines rather than just selling them is also
> worthwhile.

Well, the cases are small, and they are reliable as heck. I just fear
having to make the fix/pitch decision when the NVRAM++ chip battery
dies...

=====
Lionel

"I am not into examining other peoples' dumps..." - Sheldon T. Hall