[rescue] another sandia/los Alamos auction

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri Feb 13 07:28:09 CST 2004

On Feb 12, 2004, at 11:06 PM, Stephen Sukovich wrote:
> Now I got a strange question... was IS everyone using their sun
> machines
> for? My sparc20 right now is a silly router/firewall/dns server/samba
> server/great adzapping proxy server for my miniature network. Wonder
> what everyone else is using these things for.

   My main Solaris development machine is an E3500 (4x 400MHz, 1GB).  I
do software development on it...some of which is contract work and some
is personal.  Of the latter, some is for hobby/personal interest stuff
and some is for commercial use.  I also do some of my embedded systems
development work on this box.

   My mail server is a Netra T1-105.  It handles incoming mail for
myself and about thirty other people, as well as about a dozen mailing
lists ranging from very low to very high traffic.

   I have an SS20 (yes, still running fine) and a Netra X1 which
together host about a dozen web sites.

   I have another Netra X1 that serves as a logging and monitoring
machine.  This one is a work in progress, software-wise.

   I have an Ultra60 in a neat 3rd-party rackmount chassis that runs my
personal web site and hosts the servlet stuff I hack on.

   I use an Ultra60 (standard chassis) as a secondary workstation in my
office.

   I'm setting up an Ultra1/170 as a captive portal for a neighborhood
wireless network.  It's also a work in progress.

   That's by no means all of the systems here, but it's all the Suns
(well, the ones that are running), since that's what you asked about.
:)

         -Dave