[rescue] SCSI/IDE converter recommendation?

Paul Weissmann paul at doorslam.net
Thu Feb 12 00:58:20 CST 2004

James Birdsall [jwbirdsa at hotmail.com] wrote:
> So far the Acard AEC-7720U seems like the easiest to get ahold of, but I
> wish their website had more specs on it. They talk about how the converter
> is meant for high-speed drives, whereas the flash drives I'm working with
> *only* support PIO, no DMA or UDMA at all. I don't want to spend $70 on yet

There shouldn't be any problem using a slower drive on these
converters.

What is dangerous about them though is that the power-connector (for
a floppy-style plug) isn't polarity protected, i.e. you can put the
plug on it in two ways.

I destroyed mine UW/IDE-converter and one SCSI-channel this way.

        - paul

--
   zwei jaeger treffen sich. beide tot.