[rescue] Re: Resurrecting an IBM RS/6000 model 590

Gavin Hubbard ghub005 at xtra.co.nz
Sun Feb 8 20:50:42 CST 2004

Eric said:

I'm kind of surprised anyone would be interested in these things.  But if you
are out there, let me know and I can try asking the powers...   I may get
points for cleaning up the place :P  (I got a 7012-390 and 7043-150 from
work
once decommed, so the likelihood is good.  There's a 7012-E20 that was
just
decommed, and still the likelihood of a few 7015-R50's in 12-18 months.)

I've just been asked to de-install three unwanted R50 servers on behalf of a
govt site (they're configured as two 4-way and one 8-way machines). There
is also a stack of associated SSA equipment (mainly 9GB sleds).

Apologies for my ignorance of RS/6000 servers, but what is the approximate
power per MIP rating on these systems? Are they cost effective to run in a
private capacity?

Regards,

Gavin