[rescue] Resurrecting an IBM RS/6000 model 590

Carl R. Friend crfriend at rcn.com
Sun Feb 8 16:50:12 CST 2004

   On Sun, 8 Feb 2004, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

> On Sun, 8 Feb 2004, Mauricio wrote:
>
> > 	Thanks!  Now, would single-user mode allow me to change root password?
>
> In AIX 5.1, you're prompted for the root password, but that machine is
> probably running 4.x.  I don't remember if 4.x will let you change
> root's password just by having the key.

   You're going to be after the "Limited function maintenance shell"
which is one of the boot options in "Service mode".  Once in that
shell (which is *very* limited function), you ought to be able to
do a "getrootfs" (or something substantially similar; it's been ages
since I've had to crack one) and hand-hack /etc/security/passwd to
whack the password.

   AIX is a bit on the weird side at first blush, but once you get
your head around it it's quite nice.

   Nice haul with the 590.  I've got a 390 and a 220 here at home.

   Cheers.