[rescue] Resurrecting an IBM RS/6000 model 590

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Sun Feb 8 15:57:51 CST 2004

On Sun, 8 Feb 2004, Mauricio wrote:

> 	Beleive or not, I do have the key.  It is still in its
> keyring with a copy key and a little metal tag. =)

Excellent!  That makes the machine much more useful than a really
effective doorstop. :)

> >You have to have the system in "service" mode to install an OS, and you
> >have to have the system in "normal" to autoboot into multiuser.
>
> 	Thanks!  Now, would single-user mode allow me to change root password?

In AIX 5.1, you're prompted for the root password, but that machine is
probably running 4.x.  I don't remember if 4.x will let you change
root's password just by having the key.

--
Jonathan Patschke  ) "Some people grow out of the petty theft of
Elgin, TX         (   childhood.  Others grow up to be CEOs and