[rescue] speaking of older sparcs

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Fri Feb 6 18:50:18 CST 2004

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004, Dave McGuire wrote:

>    I hadn't head about that...That's pretty silly.  I agree with your
> assessment that the Ultra2 is one of the finest systems they ever
> sold...in fact, I'd say it's one of the finest systems ANY manufacturer
> has ever sold.

I'd have to agree with that.  That much power in that small a box is
just unusual as everything.

>    Exx00 systems can have either sbus or PCI (or both I believe);

I believe they can have both.

> I wonder if that'll affect their decision at all.

Given that some of those sbus systems probably aren't even out of
warranty yet, I'm going to guess that UltraSPARC-I support was dropped.
If that's the case, the Ultra 2 systems with US-II processors may still
work.  I hope that's the case.

> Also, I wonder how many releases will go by before things stop
> working...as opposed to things being unsupported.

The beta of Solaris 10 that I have screams when booting on an U1e that
the next beta will not boot at all.

--
Jonathan Patschke  ) "Some people grow out of the petty theft of
Elgin, TX         (   childhood.  Others grow up to be CEOs and