[rescue] Q: Preparing for SS/20 build tonight...

Janet L. Campbell janet at foonly.com
Fri Feb 6 12:57:31 CST 2004

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

> On Fri, 6 Feb 2004, Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez wrote:
>
> > ROSS HyperSparcs can go up to dual 200Mhz, I dunno if that may cause a
> > meltdown... but as far as I know that would be the top config for a
> > SS10/20
>
> Alex Avriette (formerly on this list) runs such a machine right now.
> The machine that cooked itself (if I remember correctly) was the
> quad-80MHz SuperSPARC-II with dual internal Seagate ST15150N disks.

There's no such animal (quad 80MHz SuperSparc-II).  The only SS20 quad
SuperSparc configurations sold by Sun used the double-wide 50MHz
SuperSparc-I's, though there was a 60MHz version in development based off
of the SM61.  The SM81 CPU modules were 85MHz, derated from their original
goal of 90MHz (and never qualified for the SS10/20, though they work fine
anyway with a boot ROM that supports the SuperSparc-II).

The Ross modules do come in very high speeds, but they also have less
internal parallelism and suffer from Mbus saturation when code busts the
caches.

If I wanted the most possible CPU power in a SS20 chassis, I'd take a
SparcEngine Ultra 20 board and use it instead.  They're kind of rare,
though.

-Janet