[rescue] PIX-ish ATX cases?

Ido Dubrawsky idubraws at dubrawsky.org
Fri Feb 6 09:26:46 CST 2004

On Fri, Feb 06, 2004 at 07:57:49AM -0600, rescue-request at sunhelp.org wrote:
> Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 02:15:29 -0600
> From: "Kay" <sunfriek at ussonet.net>
> Subject: Re: [rescue] PIX-ish ATX cases?
> To: "The Rescue List" <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>
> they are the same chassis with just different firmware loaded on the 2mb
> flash card in the local director.. same flash card...  same ethernet cards..
>
> been there and looked at them... been comtemplating picking up a LDIR 2mb
> flash card and trying to flash it with 5.1(5) from my pix (i have a copy of
> all the IOS's from 4.4 to 6.3.3 of the pix ios..)   just not sure i want to
> waste at least $80 on a local director  2mb flash card to find out i need a
> serial number i cant get for the pix.. (i really need to find a copy of the
> IOS for the Local directors before i start playing ...)
>
> regards

  The LDIR 2mb Flash card will only run PIX OS < 6.0.  To run 6.0 and above
code you need the 16MB flash card.  As for the serial number, you will need to
use it to generate the activation key/license.  PIX OS is tied to the serial
number of the device as well as the license keycode you buy.  Supposedly there
is a way to set the serial number on the flash card...but I don't know how to
do that.  Also, the LDIR motherboard is not quite the same as the PIX mother-
board...it's a slightly older model and PIX 6.0 code will complain that it is
not designed to run on that motherboard (I actually found that to occur on a
PIX 515 I have in the lab -- other engineers were going to scrap it because
they thought the motherboard was bad since it kept rebooting complaining about
the motherboard after they upgraded it to 6.3(3)...so now I have it running
5.3 code and it works fine).

Ido
Ido Dubrawsky, CISSP           		E-mail:          ido at dubrawsky.org
Network Security Architect