[rescue] SPARCstation 1

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Fri Feb 6 09:21:23 CST 2004

On Friday 06 February 2004 09:22, Joost van de Griek wrote:
> On 2004-02-06 14:11, Patrick Finnegan wrote:
> > Have you checked if the console is set to the serial port (stick a
> > terminal or PC with a terminal emulator on serial port "A")?  This
> > sounds to me like the console in the PROM has gotten set to the
> > serial port instead of the framebuffer console.
>
> No, I don't have a terminal or appropriate cable handy.
>
> The guy I bought it from last used it with a monitor, so I suspect it
> will be set up for use with keyboard/monitor.
>
> Also, would this explain why with one framebuffer I get a white
> screen, while with two (known good) others, no image whatsoever?

I *think* so, but I haven't used an SS1 with (or without) a monitor in
quite a while.  However, if you're not getting a sync signal with the
'two other' framebuffers, that means that they're not getting
initialized, and there's something wrong with the SS1.  You might want
to make sure that everything (including the NVRAM) is well-seated.  All
the sparcs that I've played with the NVRAM on wouldn't boot unless it
was firmly inserted... I'd check that first.

Pat
--
Purdue University ITAP/RCS
Information Technology at Purdue