[rescue] SPARCstation 1

Joost van de Griek joost at jvdg.net
Fri Feb 6 06:00:24 CST 2004

Hello, list.

I have just acquired a SPARCstation 1, only to find out that the damn thing
won't boot. That is to say, when I power it up in its standard configuration
(the way I got it), it will beep, show a green light, make some noise, and
eventually show a solid white screen on my monitor.

This made me suspect the framebuffer, a double-width GX (501-1645). So, I
replaced that with the one from an SS5, a TGX (501-2325). With this in,
beep, light, no picture at all. And with another TGX (501-2922) from an
Ultra1, same story: beep, light, no picture.

Now, am I SOL with a busted SS1, or does the SS1 have issues with the TGX?
Would it be worth trying yet more framebuffers? I have an mg1, 501-1419, but
no monitor to go with it, but I could probably borrow a single-width cgsix
from a friend's SS1+.

,xtG
.tsooJ
--
Real freedom scares you, 'cause it means responsibility.
 - Jello Biafra