[rescue] ID this SGI board and win, oh, I dunno, my eternal thanks

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Thu Feb 5 19:53:46 CST 2004

Shawn Wallbridge says ...

> It's a Dual R10k 195 w/1MB or 2MB cache.
>
> http://www.sgisun.com/sgi_onyx_parts.html
>
> If you want to sell it, let me know.

Hmmm.  A dual-R10K-195 versus a quad-R4k-150 ...

I don't know how to evaluate that, actually.  From the performance
comparisons at http://futuretech.mirror.vuurwerk.net/perfcomp.html, I get
the sense that a single R10k-195 is 2-3 times as fast as an R4k-200 in an
Indigo2, but he doesn't have much in the multi-processor area or that's
Challenge/Onyx-specific.  And, of course, we're talking R4k-150 in my
Challenge, not -200.

That makes it sound like the dual-R10k-195 would have somewhat of an edge
over the quad-R4k-150.  Certainly, processor-for-processor it has a large
advantage.

However, I don't know how much "general computing" stuff uses more than one
processor, or, indeed, how that would affect things at all.

Would someone like to hold a mini-class on this sort of thing?  I could sure
use one.

-Shel