[rescue] restorations and keyboards

Kevin Loch kloch at gurunet.net
Tue Feb 3 14:53:53 CST 2004

Phil Stracchino wrote:

> My wife figures that instead, what should be done with most old
> buildings is what she calls historic restoration -- where you preserve
> the external appearance of the building, you preserve as much as
> possible of its character and feel and the original construction, but
> you can make changes to the interior so as to bring it up to current
> codes and make it actually usable as a living or working space.

Great idea!  A good way to justify it is "What would ${origina_owner}
have done with it if they were still alive?"

You can see some interesting restorations/modernizations on the
HGTV/DHome/etc satellite channels.  Some people even go nuts
geting reproduced walpaper from fragments they find under paint/
closed off rooms etc.

KL