[rescue] OT: Should I Cisco Cert?

Nadine Miller vraptor at promessage.com
Tue Feb 3 13:17:44 CST 2004

Kevin wrote:
> I'm considering going to school and getting my degree.  I'm
> currently employed but i want to move on to bigger and better
> jobs.  I've got certs, but i believe the CISSP and a decent
> degree will help me in the future.

This is probably not what you want to hear, but I
think you'd be better going into the military + doing
the above, if you are not too old for it.

The majority of the jobs I see coming across the
securityjobs at securityfocus.com list require, at the
least, secret clearance.  Unless you are "Mr./Ms. Guru",
it's highly unlikely that a company will pay to have
you sit around while they shell out $10-20K to get
your clearance.

I'm interested in going into security, but thinking
of going at it from the direction of healthcare (and
maybe military), by going for my BSN by taking the
required pre-req's and slipping some CompSci in there
as well.  Then after working as an RN for a several years,
back-tracking with possibly a Masters in healthcare
MIS/Administration or similar.

Comments on this sort of "flanking" career strategy
appreciated.  My only barrier at the moment is
figuring out how to feed and house myself while
I hit the books (a couple of things are in the
works, but nothing definite, yet).

=Nadine=