[rescue] Favorite Keyboards (audio recording!)

Ethan O'Toole ethan at 757tech.net
Tue Dec 28 19:10:35 CST 2004

> On Dec 28, 2004, at 15:35, Ethan O'Toole wrote:
>
>> What about ones that think uppercase letters are totally different from
>> CAPS LOCKED uppercase letters? (in regards to passwords and such)?
>
> They're idiots and deserve your disrespect and mine.

Okay, another true story.

Another time, another place.... I'm sort of new and was tasked with fixing
something. 7 or 8 computers all connected to a Compaq KVM switch. One of
them was misbehaving, related to keyboard/video. Wanted to recover it
without rebooting, since there was a ship at sea connected to it
retrieving mail. So I say "We can power cycle the KVM switch, maybe this
will correct the problem." I don't think much of it, never had a problem
before.

Person who doesn't have uber skills says, "Won't that totally crash all of
the computers?"

"Uh, no? Why would it?"

"Okay! Go for it then!"

So I power cycle it.

5 of the systems bluescreened, the rest locked up. Except for the one
compaq box, it was fine. "See? Thats what I thought would happen."

EGG ON THE FACE... rebooted them all... all the ships were dropped. Gotta
love it. See, this wouldn't happen if everyone still used serial
consoles... well, unless your on a Sun and the serial concentrator
generates a hard break.