[rescue] Mail Server

Mike Meredith mike at redhairy1.demon.co.uk
Tue Dec 21 01:45:08 CST 2004

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 19:18:16 -0500, sammy ominsky wrote:
> Anyone care to contribute?  I know we're a rabid pack of postfix fans
> here, so I hope for good reasons.

Some of us prefer Exim, but pretty much the same stuff applies.

Sendmail is ideal for deployment as a mail gateway between multiple
different mail protocols including some that haven't been specified as
yet. However that level of flexibility isn't necessary any more as
we've all chosen RFC2822. Sendmail's learning curve is more like a wall
than a curve and being slammed into it multiple times isn't fun. The
underlying configuration file looks like line noise which makes
documentation harder, 'typo' configuration mistakes easier (and harder
to spot), and any decent mail administrator will have large chunks of
'.cf' stuff in their '.mc' file (thus destroying the argument that
tinkering with the '.cf' file isn't necessary any more).