[rescue] Re: rescue Digest, Vol 25, Issue 4

Ido Dubrawsky idubraws at dubrawsky.org
Wed Dec 8 08:45:15 CST 2004

On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 07:48:05AM -0600, rescue-request at sunhelp.org wrote:
> Date: 06 Dec 2004 14:16:56 -0500
> From: james <james at jdfogg.com>
> Subject: Re: [rescue] VA Linux 1U/2U Riser cards?
> To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>
> On Mon, 2004-12-06 at 14:10, Ido Dubrawsky wrote:
> > I'm searching for riser cards for a VA Linux rackmount system.  I need both the
> > 1U and the 2U riser cards and they're scarce as all get out on ePay.  I'm
> > watching one auction right now but there are no others.  Anyone out there have
> > any they can part with.  It's for a 2200 box.
> >
> > Ido
>
> I have a bunch of these machines w/o risers. Have you tried the generic
> riser cards on ebay?
>
> Something like this....
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1484&item=5735271957&rd=1
>
> If you know anything about the generics let me know, as I'm going crazy
> without risers.

I haven't tried that particular riser card.  I tried the following riser cards:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=42321&item=6726716462

and

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=71516&item=5734530676

in a VA Linux 2100 and they don't work.  They're just about an 1/8" too tall
for the PCI slots.  It really sucks because the VA Linux specific riser cards
are a pain to hunt down.  There is a company, California Digital, which
acquired the systems division of VA Linux back in 2001 who continue to provide
legacy parts for those systems but they don't seem to carry the riser cards.
I'm going to try and e-mail them to see if they have any available for sale.

Ido
Ido Dubrawsky, CISSP           		E-mail:          ido at dubrawsky.org
Network Security Architect
dubrawsky.org