[rescue] Clariion raid questions (Fiberchannel)

Ethan O'Toole ethan at 757tech.net
Fri Dec 3 22:34:17 CST 2004

> I've had some experience with these units. It seems the trick is getting a
> SP that is in command line mode. That way it will accept commands from the
> console input. I've got one, out of six that is, if anyone knows the magic
> code to place a SP in command line mode...
> If you can't get into a SP then the only way I know to config an array is
> through EMC's Navisphere software $$$$
> They do work great once you have them running. I have a few JBOD's that I
> may be convinced to part with if your interested.
> -- John

Interesting... are the JBODs clariion? What brand (Black, blue, etc?)

The old SPs (I can't think of the name, but generally each version of the
SP has some sort of code name) had a secret where you type what I believe
was a 4 character word, but you hold down control while doing so.

Like Control-T control-E control-S control-T

This was the really old parallel scsi units, not the fibrechannel ones.

Have you tried to put a "normal" drive? For instance, say a disk croaks
and you need to replace one, taking a normal Seagate fibrechannel disk and
jamming it in there? I think they are very specific when it comes to disks
-- like the SP will upgrade the firmware so all disks are the same
assuming they have the proper clariion/emc code in the drive to begin
with...

Which brings me to another thing, are there availible tools to push and
pull firmware on FC disks....

Basically I sold the Cray and a Challenge XL to someone out of the country
(old Cray that is way below export restrictions in MTOPS). The guy sent me
4 Clariion DPEs from someone else in the US to throw in with the other
equipment (since he is already paying alot to have the cray stuff
shipped).

Well, the more I look at the thing -- the more I like the thing.

You said the management warez aren't a free download either? IIRC SGI used
some sorta cruddy Java utility that would manage the things, and the same
utility ran on other unices -- probably the Navisphere you mentioned.

--
: www.757tech.com  757 Technologies  (757)233-9460