[rescue] OT(rescue)Anyone going to the SG-1 convention?

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Fri Aug 6 14:04:15 CDT 2004

On Thu,  5 Aug 2004 16:20:51 -0400, Andrew Weiss <ajwdsp at cloud9.net> wrote:
> I'm going on Saturday to the SG-1 con in East Rutherford NJ... I was
> just wondering if any other NJ/NY geeks/rescuers planned on being there.
>
> I've never been to a scifi convention so I figured I'd give one a
> try... especially since this show is my latest favorite show.

Media scifi cons and literary scifi cons are not quite cut of the
same cloth in my experience.  You'll see a lot more fawning
geeks at this con than you would at say, NorWesterCon or
another convention run by scifi fans for scifi fans.  Media cons
tend to be a lot more commercially oriented, and are more
like actor dog-and-pony shows.

I've been to a couple of media conventions (Star Trek), and
*tons* of literary scifi cons.  They each have their merits.

These days I am far more likely to go to a gaming convention,
though, than either type of scifi con, b/c I find I get a lot
more enjoyment playing games than sitting in a room
listening to mostly aging scifi fans re-hash the same
questions they asked back in the 80's and 90's.   I generally
only go to scifi cons now if people I know are going to be
there to hang out with.

YMMV; for the uninitiated they are probably more interesting.

=Nadine=