[rescue] Ultra 10 Ram?

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Thu Aug 5 11:07:03 CDT 2004

On Thu, Aug 05, 2004 at 11:21:13AM -0400, Bob Keyes wrote:

> Is this a question of "high density" vs. "low density" DIMMS? High density
> DIMMS have chips populated on one side of the DIMM only. I recall that
> using High Density 256MB DIMMs in a PC which only supported Low Density
> DIMMs resulted in the system only seeing 128MB of memory.

I think there may be density issues to a certain extent.  I seem to
recall that you can't mix densities.  I don't think density is why you
can't use 256meg dimms, but I'm really not sure.

> > I own two U5s that desperately need more ram.  I recently gave away a U5
> > without ram because it would just cost me too much to buy ram for it.
>
> Perhaps you can find compatible memory for cheap that is not labeled for
> Sun? What is considered cheap anyhow?

$25 for 512megs is cheap to me.  $50 for 512megs is acceptable.  $110
for 512megs isn't (which seems to be about what it is going for on Ebay,
for anything advertised as U5 ram, Sun branded or not).

I would be willing to consider trying compatible memory.  But, I'm wary
about trying to find it, since I don't really know all of the
parameters needed.