[rescue] Ultra 10 Ram?

Bob Keyes bob at sinister.com
Thu Aug 5 10:21:13 CDT 2004

On Thu, 5 Aug 2004, Joshua Boyd wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 05, 2004 at 10:26:10AM -0400, Brooke Gravitt wrote:
> > Where is the best place to get the cheapest (pennywise) RAM that will
> > work in an Ultra 10? I remember paying Sun and ungodly amount for the
> > stuff back in late  '99 for some of our test boxes. You can use some
> > type of PC ECC ram, right?
>
> ECC EDO 5V.  I think it is buffered, but I'm not sure.  There are
> additional rules.  It will only accept 32, 64, or 128meg DIMMS.  Some
> people are selling 256meg DIMMS as U5 ram on ebay, but the system only
> seems 128megs per DIMM.  I don't know what other rules or gotchas there
> might or might not be.

Is this a question of "high density" vs. "low density" DIMMS? High density
DIMMS have chips populated on one side of the DIMM only. I recall that
using High Density 256MB DIMMs in a PC which only supported Low Density
DIMMs resulted in the system only seeing 128MB of memory.

> If you find a cheap source, let us know.  Recently 512megs of U5/10 ram
> has been costing nearly as much as a U50/10 with the ram already in it.
> In fact, I've seen some U60s with 512megs of RAM sell on ebay for less
> than the cost of 512megs of U5 ram.
>
> I own two U5s that desperately need more ram.  I recently gave away a U5
> without ram because it would just cost me too much to buy ram for it.

Perhaps you can find compatible memory for cheap that is not labeled for
Sun? What is considered cheap anyhow?