[rescue] RE: [geeks] The Mini-ITX box is done!

Mike Meredith mike at blackhairy.demon.co.uk
Wed Aug 4 15:46:04 CDT 2004

On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 15:55:22 -0400, John Ruschmeyer wrote:
> Personally, I got turned off of the idea of running Gentoo after
> installing it on a dual P-II/300 box I was throwing together and never
> being able to get a decent performing kernel.

I had trouble with the gentoo kernel too ... on a dual PIII box. Since
switching to a unadulterated kernel, not a single glitch.

The problem has been raised in the Gentoo forums, and the people who
don't like the gentoo kernel indicate that the problems may be to due to
the number of patches the gentoo kernel gets. I suspect one or more
don't live too well with multiple CPUs.

> I'm sure it's some option I missed somewhere,

'emerge unmerge gentoo-sources; emerge vanilla-sources' (there's other
possibilities)