[rescue] RE: [geeks] The Mini-ITX box is done!

John Ruschmeyer jruschme at gmail.com
Wed Aug 4 14:55:22 CDT 2004

On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 18:46:57 +0100, Mike Meredith
<mike at blackhairy.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> Gentoo isn't for someone who wants a quick install, but there are some
> advantages. One I like is that it's theoretically a release-version-less
> distribution. The LiveCD's have versions, but once you're installed you
> just 'emerge -u world' to keep updated.

Personally, I got turned off of the idea of running Gentoo after
installing it on a dual P-II/300 box I was throwing together and never
being able to get a decent performing kernel.

The system on the LiveCD ran great, a single processor kernel ran
great, but I could never get an SMP kernel built that didn't have some
strange kind of lag. OTOH, the same board had previously run RedHat
just fine (according to the guy who gave it to me) and I, personally,
had no problems with an SMP FreeBSD system on it.

I'm sure it's some option I missed somewhere, but it really turned me
off to the distro.

<<<John>>>