[rescue] RE: [geeks] The Mini-ITX box is done!

mrl vlack-lists at vlack.com
Wed Aug 4 15:02:48 CDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-08-04 at 14:09, Gary Nichols wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Aug 2004, Joshua Boyd wrote:
> > Yeah, I'm not saying it sucks in general or anything.  I'm just dubious
> > about trying to make it work from a dial-up connection.
>
> Ahhhhhhhhhhh.  Ok, in your case simply use the "full cd" .iso of the
> 2004.2 release and do a stage3 install.  Much less painful.

Heh. definitely.
Although, *I* did a full stage1 install from a dialup connection. From a
28k connection, in fact. :D.

It's actually not *that* bad, although it certainly isn't ideal. Even
the minimal install iso is just 80mb, and you'll have to get a few
hundred meg for the base system, but less than a 600mb iso. Of course,
for openoffice + x + kde + gnome + emacs + ... it gets worse :).

The thing to remember is that you can download the packages from
somewhere else with a broadband connection, and then transfer them to
/usr/portage/distfiles. there's some way to make emerge output this nice
and easy to wget.