[rescue] RE: [geeks] The Mini-ITX box is done!

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Wed Aug 4 14:26:32 CDT 2004

> From: Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill.net>
> Date: 2004/08/04 Wed PM 05:09:11 GMT
> To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
> Subject: Re: [rescue] RE: [geeks] The Mini-ITX box is done!
>
> On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 01:07:03PM -0400, Caleb Shay wrote:
> > Yes, as a matter of fact, it does.
> > http://packages.gentoo.org/archs/s390/
>
> I just looked at gentoo - and seeing things like "when you boot, you'll see
> a lot of text scrolling by" in the installation handbook does not really
> inspire me. :)

OK, but to be fair I've never seen an installation handbook that explained *every* message that is generated during system start-up/booting... Some have more detail than others, but none are comprehensive...

Early RH Linux (like RH 4.X - 7.X, pre-Enterprise) used to have similar activity, and I'm sure the output wasn't explained in the manual - heck, Sun doesn't explain each output line in Solaris either, but then again, there typically is very little "spurious" messages during system start-up...