[rescue] RE: [geeks] The Mini-ITX box is done!

Mike Meredith mike at blackhairy.demon.co.uk
Wed Aug 4 13:10:51 CDT 2004

On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 13:45:03 -0400, Joshua Boyd wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 06:46:57PM +0100, Mike Meredith wrote:
> > once you're installed you just 'emerge -u world' to keep updated.
>
> And exactly how much data has to be sucked down to do that particular
> emerge?  A few gigs?

Depends on how frequently you do it, and how much you have installed.
I've no real urge to actually measure the difference, but I suspect that
you don't download much more with Gentoo than you would with any other
distribution. And of course you don't have to download large ISO's (four
at the last count for Fedora Core 2) to upgrade your distribution.

Or to put it another way, I spend more time compiling updates than I do
downloading them on my Gentoo machine.