[rescue] A: SGI O2 Rescue

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at ohno.mrbill.net
Fri Oct 31 13:33:28 CST 2003

On Fri, Oct 31, 2003 at 12:56:48PM -0500, Adam Breaux wrote:
> What would this hack entail?

Apparently it simply consists of quickly desoldering the RM5200 CPU and
soldering down a RM7000.  Then just update the firmware to any of the
RM7000 firmware.  This method has been shown to work for upgrading to
RM7000s at 600mhz and 700mhz, and hopefully in the near future, 900mhz.

Did I just say simply and quickly?  I guess it is simple enough...  If
you are an expert at desoldering BGA parts.  Frankly, I know that places
exist that can do that work, but I personally don't know anyone who can.