[rescue] AT&T 3b2's for rescue

Steve Sandau ssandau at bath.tmac.com
Wed Oct 29 12:52:07 CST 2003

>>They're nice and small systems. See
>>http://www.obsoletecomputermuseum.org/3b2/
>>

> Depends. If they are 3b2/300 or 3b2/310, then they are the size of the
> machine pictured. If they are a 3b2/500 or 600, then they are about 2 feet
> wide, 1 1/2 feet tall, and about 3 feet deep- think Coleman cooler or about
> 2/3 the size of an E250.
>
> The 3b2/6xx would weigh about 70-80 pounds if I remember correctly- it's
> manageable but not fun to carry down stairs by yourself.
>
> None of the 3b2 series had ethernet standard. You could get an ethernet
> card, and I believe the TCP/IP stuff was an add-on package not included in
> the regular OS distribution, IIRC.

Thanks, Steve. I was feeling silly describing them as 1x1x2 or so. The
larger version you descriabe here is what I remember. As I said, close
to bulletproof... What you describe about ethernet and TCP/Ip sounds
right, too. We had manuals for them for years after they were gone, but
had to toss them (space reasons) when we moved. Bummer.

As I recall, they came with 300m disk drives that seemed to be standard
fullsize SCSI, but I don't remember too clearly

Curt, I could (in return for *one* of these machines) drive to your
place, pick up stuff for Josh, meet Josh at my Dad's house (half hour
north of New Haven, CT, if it's OK with him), trtade with Josh, and then
drop one of the 3b2's off for you on my way home to Maine.

Steve