[rescue] AT&T 3b2's for rescue

Steve Hatle shatle at nfldinet.com
Wed Oct 29 12:36:10 CST 2003

> From: Walter Belgers <walter+rescue at belgers.com>

> They're nice and small systems. See
> http://www.obsoletecomputermuseum.org/3b2/

Depends. If they are 3b2/300 or 3b2/310, then they are the size of the
machine pictured. If they are a 3b2/500 or 600, then they are about 2 feet
wide, 1 1/2 feet tall, and about 3 feet deep- think Coleman cooler or about
2/3 the size of an E250.

The 3b2/6xx would weigh about 70-80 pounds if I remember correctly- it's
manageable but not fun to carry down stairs by yourself.

None of the 3b2 series had ethernet standard. You could get an ethernet
card, and I believe the TCP/IP stuff was an add-on package not included in
the regular OS distribution, IIRC.

My first *nix job had a 3b2/600 that was the "old" server- they had upgraded
to a StarServer E, a dual 486 box that also ran AT&T System V. The 3b2 was
kept around for access to legacy info from the old software package. The 3b2
had been the server at corp- our retail locations ran 3b1's that supported 2
terminals as well as the console. The remotes moved data to corp via UUCP
every night. Those were the days <grin>

Steve