[rescue] Interesting bit on Multics

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sun Oct 26 18:21:36 CST 2003

On Fri, Oct 24, 2003 at 04:43:37AM -0700, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> > However, they also don't seem to do a good job advertising their
> > need.
>
> They don't typically waste their time advertising - they use
> headhunters. Ads are for headhunters, not companies...

Headhunters are notoriously bad at finding people.

They often ignore regions, and their buzzword selection system leaves a
lot to be desired.

Maybe mainframe recruiters are better.

> > It would be fun to work in a combination mainframe/UNIX shop.
>
> Mainframe died years ago, don't you remember? ;^)

Well, don't tell IBM: they claim their mainframe sales are increasing.

> Telephone companies are one of the few mixed environments I know (oh,
> and finacial Goldman Sachs, Merrill, etc.)...

The banking sector is still a big user.

Lot's of UNIX there too.

Of course, one thing that sucks about banking, is the management uses
tons of horridly ugly Novell and Windows systems, all tied together in
an unholy union of mismatched protocols and mystery-box software.

One shop I was in decided that all mainframe and UNIX logins should
be controlled by Windows authorization.  Nothing like making big iron
dependent on the low-bidder NT box 500 miles away, for logins and other
authority questions.

I heard that after I left, the mainframe programmers were having to copy
their code to an NT box so it could be "managed" with the PVCS software
on the NT servers.  They'd already made us UNIX programmers go that
route.

The errors and other problems that this caused were legion.

Oh, and trouble tickets, software testing, feature requests, and
run-time logging were all done in Lotus Notes...