[rescue] Interesting bit on Multics

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 24 06:43:37 CDT 2003

--- Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 21, 2003 at 12:16:19PM -0700, Lionel Peterson wrote:
>
> > Anyway, working with VM, MVS, IMS and DB/2 was fun - did it in
> various
> > forms for about 10 years (operations, programming, technical
> > support)...
>
> How do you get into that kind of thing?

Dumb luck...

Bounced around colleges, wound up at Computer Learning Center, got a
certificate in Computer Programming, then a job as an Operator while I
finished up my 4 year degree by attending part-time school for a year
(on the employer's dime!).

Then, one of the Systems Programmers pointed me at a small shop (the
I.E.E.E) that her friend was the programming manager at, and I got a
job there - small shop, latest technology, but low pay) and I stayed
there a few years doing full lifecycle programming (design, code,
support). Then went to a great software house (OnLine Software) and did
technical support for UFO for a few years. Once they were acquired by
CA I was "optomized" right out of the company. ;^)

> However, they also don't seem to do a good job advertising their
> need.

They don't typically waste their time advertising - they use
headhunters. Ads are for headhunters, not companies...

> The way I see it, the mainframe world has got to be facing a
> problematic future, as almost no one is interested in working
> on them and the schools no longer teach mainframe skills.
>
> It would be fun to work in a combination mainframe/UNIX shop.

Mainframe died years ago, don't you remember? ;^)

Telephone companies are one of the few mixed environments I know (oh,
and finacial Goldman Sachs, Merrill, etc.)...

=====
Lionel

"I am not into examining other peoples' dumps..." - Sheldon T. Hall