[rescue] Interesting bit on Multics

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sun Oct 26 18:02:50 CST 2003

On Fri, Oct 24, 2003 at 12:35:16PM +0200, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
> Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> > The thing around here and other places I have seen, is that they are
> > having a hard time finding mainframe people.  True, not many people are
> > interested.  On local shop has people brought out of retirement to
> > keep things going.
>
> I have a friend in Philly with 25+ years experience in IBM MVS, etc,
> that is looking for work. He's willing to relocate, any leads would
> be apprecicated.

I don't target mainframe jobs, but still get calls now and then.  If I
had the skills, I'd have taken a job in that field a few weeks ago.

So far it has almost been universally banking work, so I'd say he should
check all the banking centers.  Cities like Richmond, Charlotte, Dallas,
etc.

A few weeks ago I got a call from a Richmond recruiter I had talked to
before, asking if I had MVS skills, and if I knew anyone else.  AS/400
too.  This was a job at a bank, but as usual they would not say who.

Recruiters love the cloak-and-dagger game.

Another job in Richmond was with the Federal Reserve Bank there, and
they also said they needed UNIX people.  MVS and UNIX skills both was a
plus.