[rescue] Interesting bit on Multics

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Oct 23 22:36:50 CDT 2003

On Tue, Oct 21, 2003 at 12:16:19PM -0700, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> Anyway, working with VM, MVS, IMS and DB/2 was fun - did it in various
> forms for about 10 years (operations, programming, technical
> support)...

How do you get into that kind of thing?

The thing around here and other places I have seen, is that they are
having a hard time finding mainframe people.  True, not many people are
interested.  On local shop has people brought out of retirement to
keep things going.

However, they also don't seem to do a good job advertising their need.

I started out on mainframes in college, but changed to comp-sci and went
with UNIX instead.  However, I like mainframes, and would be willing to
train.

The way I see it, the mainframe world has got to be facing a problematic
future, as almost no one is interested in working on them and the
schools no longer teach mainframe skills.

It would be fun to work in a combination mainframe/UNIX shop.