[rescue] Interesting bit on Multics

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 21 14:16:19 CDT 2003

--- Mike Meredith <mike at blackhairy.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> It's shame that the equivalent of VM didn't spread ... it'd be useful
> on all sorts of machines.

Whaddya mean? I can run multiple OS on one machine at the same time
(VMWare is but one option onone platform)...

I was a console operator in a large VM shop in the late 80's (near to a
dozen 3090/600s, and a few smaller "development" boxes for the system
administrators), and the one thing that bugged me about VM was it's
inability (at that time, it may have changed) to pick a tape drive from
a pool of available drives and connect it to a virtual machine.

It was stoopid - a request for a drive would come up, I would turn my
head to the right and visually scan the four VM-connected tape drives,
and then vary one onto the virtual machine. Why oh why couldn't VM scan
the drives itself?!?!?!?!

Anyway, working with VM, MVS, IMS and DB/2 was fun - did it in various
forms for about 10 years (operations, programming, technical
support)...

=====
Lionel

"I am not into examining other peoples' dumps..." - Sheldon T. Hall