[rescue] Ultra 1e price question

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. rescue at hawkmountain.net
Thu Oct 23 00:27:57 CDT 2003

The Ultrasparc 1E systems can be 140E (143MHZ), 170E (167MHZ), and
200E (200MHZ). The 'E' (enterprise, creator) systems have an FFB
UPA slot for graphics, 100baseTX graphics, and wide scsi, while the
non 'E' systems have 10baseT, narrow scsi, and an sbus slot where
the upa slot would be.

One thing to watch out for is many of the systems originally had cpu
fans... these fans fail....  later systems had bigger heatsinks and
did away with the fan.

I had success in adapting a fan (minus the plastic heatsink guard
and with a bit of drilling (and removing brass inserts)) from a
Sparcstation 2 (the extra cooling fan they added to the sparc 2).

It is a bit larger, and of higher quality (and probably of airflow).
Worked nicely.

As for price... $50 is not bad... especially if it is a 170 or 200.
If it has a spud bracket or two for drives inside, and a UPA framebuffer
then it is probably worth it even if it is a 140.

Depends on what is in it, and ultimately, it is what is it worth
to you...

-- Curt