[rescue] Interesting bit on Multics

Mike Meredith mike at blackhairy.demon.co.uk
Mon Oct 20 13:53:04 CDT 2003

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 14:29:58 +0200 (IST), Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
> Joshua Boyd wrote:
>
> > To the end that if they can't make truck loads of money off of it,
> > then they damn well aren't gonna let any insignificant little
> > anarchistic bloody peons get and enjoymeny/benefit/anything out of
> > it.
>
> Does anyone on this list work for Groupe Bull? If you approach
> the correct person in a nice manner they may react differently.

Not least of which you could point out that a free non-commercial
license has a very small chance of increasing the value of the Multics
source (someone may come along and want a commercial license).

> Think of the colateral effect. An emulator to run the binaries would
> have to be developed. A PL/I compiler for current systems.

Modern PL/I compilers exist for probably every major platform on the
planet ... PL/I is a very big language in the IBM world. Now a free
compiler might be useful.