[rescue] Interesting bit on Multics

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri Oct 17 23:25:12 CDT 2003

On Saturday, October 18, 2003, at 12:01 AM, Francisco Javier
Mesa-Martinez wrote:
>>    It's not clear that anyone was suggesting "utility" of any sort.
>> It
>> is an important part of history, and as such, it should be preserved
>> and studied.  I don't think anyone in their right mind would use it in
>> production unless they absolutely had to.
>
> I knew that, but if study is the main goal... some of the lessons have
> been already incorporated. It would be cool for the geek factor I grant
> that.

   I agree on both of your points, but I'm thinking of it this
way...Modern systems are accessible and literature about them abounds.
By studying a system like Multics, one has the chance to see the
*differences*...what features carried forward, which ones didn't, and
stuff like that.  It's more studying the evolution than the absolutes.

> Anyhow, there is always the emulator route I guess... if there is
> enouhg
> info on the underlying HW I am sure an emulator of sorts could be
> written
> and run some original multics on it.

   Does simh support anything that Multics will run on?

>  However is it hte multics code available?

   Good question.  I'm interested in this too.

       -Dave