[rescue] Optimal OS for a SS4?

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. rescue at hawkmountain.net
Fri Oct 17 00:10:40 CDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-10-16 at 19:52, vance at neurotica.com wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Oct 2003, Michel Adam wrote:
>
> > Well, I just got this Sparcstation 4 and would like to get the wisdom of
> > the list on a few questions:
> >
> >  - What is considered the optimal version of Solaris for it?
>
> I don't think there is one.  That machine is slow enough that Solaris
> would run like a dog.

SunOS 4.X would run nicely... however I don't think it was technically
supported on the Sparcstation 4.... although with the 4 similar to the
5, it might run (4.1.3_U1 or 4.1.4 would be your only shot).

> >  - I know it can run other flavors of Unix, but what would be the main
> >    advantages in doing so?
>
> Speed.  SPEED!  Run NetBSD.  The speed improvement is marked.

NetBSD, or OpenBSD, or Sparc Linux

> >  - I have an multi-platform environment (PC / Mac and now Sun) Is there
> >    a preferred brand/model of KVM switch I should be on the lookout for
> >    that would accomodate all these platforms?
>
> It's a little pricey, but I recommend Raritan.

If you already have a KVM or can get a decent PC one cheap enough,
you could look for a the Sun Interface Converter allowing you to
use PS/2 KB/Mouse on the Sparc, and there are USB converters allowing
you to use PS/2 KB (and one for the mouse ???) on a Mac.... which would
then allow you to use a PC KVM....

I have a KVM for Sun gear and a KVM for PC gear... and then a "KVM"
for RS232... such that my plans were (for someday):

KB --------- P
             C ---- SIC ---- Sun KVM ---- up to 6 sparcs
SCREEN ----- K ------------- VT525   ---- RS232 "KVM" ---- up to 6 RS232
             V ---- up to 4 PCs/Alphas/SGIs
MOUSE ------ M

(note SIC is Sun Interface Converter... converts PS/2 KB/Mouse for use
on Sparcs)

Got all the equipment... just need a proper place to set everything up
and figure out what to setup/etc, work out any issues around SOG on any
attached SGI gear, and work out if I can use adapters to have my PC
KVM due PS/2 mouse (it is meant for AT KB / serial mice ... the AT KB
to PS/2 KB is easy... not sure about PS/2 mice to serial mice
conversion).

-- Curt