[rescue] Optimal OS for a SS4?

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Thu Oct 16 19:42:49 CDT 2003

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003, Michel Adam wrote:

>  - What is considered the optimal version of Solaris for it?

9.  Believe it or not, 9 is significantly faster than previous releases,
if you have at least 128MB of memory.  If you have less, Solaris 7 isn't
bad.

That's assuming interactive console work.  If you're doing to be doing
most of your playing remotely, 64MB is plfnty for Solaris 9.

>  - I know it can run other flavors of Unix, but what would be the main
>    advantages in doing so?

Well, they free OSes are significantly faster.  OpenBSD is the fastest,
with NetBSD and Linux being about equal in that regard.  However, if you
need support for any obscure devices link FDDI or SunPC, Solaris is the
only game in town.

>  - Is there any way of resetting the NVRAM password, when the existing
> password
>    is unknown?

If you can get root in the OS, you can clear it from the eeprom command.
If not, there are tricks involving removing the NVRAM and specific
points during the startup procedure.  I'm fuzzy on the specifics, but
I'm sure someone else here knows.

>  - I have an multi-platform environment (PC / Mac and now Sun) Is there a
> preferred brand/model
>    of KVM switch I should be on the lookout for that would accomodate all
> these platforms?

KVMs on most Unix systems is an overrated concept.  With a good X
server and a fast network, you can be right there without buying an
expensive KVM.  For console-only stuff a used PortMaster 2e is your
friend.  If your Mac is running OS X, Apple's accelerated X server will
make remote X access feel more responsive than the (probably GTX)
framebuffer in the SS4.

--
Jonathan Patschke  ) "Earth works.  That's proof positive that Mother
Elgin, TX         (   Nature isn't a suit."            --Dave McGuire