[rescue] IBM mdel M keyboards...The sequel

vance at neurotica.com vance at neurotica.com
Thu Oct 16 17:07:58 CDT 2003

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

> I'd be curious to see how nicely the ones on the model Ms work as they
> have the potential for saving quite a bit of desk.

They work pretty well.  Well enough for me, anyway.

> Oh, Sridhar?  Is there any way to tell which keyboards have the embedded
> speaker and which don't frmo the FRU number?  $work LOST the keyboard
> that shipped with my new workstation, and I have no terminal bell with
> the model M I found in the `junk' pile.  I'm not opposed to supplying my
> own, but another mute keyboard won't get me anywhere.

I don't know about FRU, but P/N 51G8572 is the one you want, if you want
the ones that came from the factory with the later-model MCA RS/6000's.

> Also, did IBM ever make a three-button mouse in the style of the ones
> that originally shipped with the PS/2?  I loved those things.

Nope.  IBM's 3-button was a standard Logitech.    That doesn't mean they
absolutely weren't made, but I've never seen one, and I've been around
this stuff for a long time.

Peace...  Sridhar