[rescue] IBM mdel M keyboards...The sequel

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Thu Oct 16 08:26:04 CDT 2003

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003, Kurt Huhn wrote:

> Eeeew.  That's a matter of opinion, almost certainly.  I hate those
> little pointing sticks in the middle of keyboards.

I can normally deal with them pretty well, and, in fact prefer a
TrackPoint to a trackpad or trackball on a laptop, but, for some reason
I just can't -stand- the implementation of them on IBM's rackmount
keyboards.  The keyboard is all mushy, the keyboard doesn't tilt, and
the TrackPoint is simultaneously too sensitive and too stiff.

I'd be curious to see how nicely the ones on the model Ms work as they
have the potential for saving quite a bit of desk.

Oh, Sridhar?  Is there any way to tell which keyboards have the embedded
speaker and which don't frmo the FRU number?  $work LOST the keyboard
that shipped with my new workstation, and I have no terminal bell with
the model M I found in the `junk' pile.  I'm not opposed to supplying my
own, but another mute keyboard won't get me anywhere.

Also, did IBM ever make a three-button mouse in the style of the ones
that originally shipped with the PS/2?  I loved those things.

--
Jonathan Patschke  ) "Earth works.  That's proof positive that Mother
Elgin, TX         (   Nature isn't a suit."            --Dave McGuire