[rescue] Need SGI part.

Mike Meredith mike at blackhairy.demon.co.uk
Wed Oct 15 11:51:16 CDT 2003

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 15:17:54 -0500, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Oct 2003, Dave McGuire wrote:
> >    Not at all.  There are many more empty drive bays than there are
> > sleds.
>
> You can thank the DoD and paranoid universities and companies for

>From what I've seen there's far more places that don't realise that
disposing of a disk has to be done carefully (2 of my 3 sgi's came with
at least some corp. data on).

> that. Somehow, they seem to think the disc sled holds just as much
> valuable data as the disc itself, and must be destroyed prior to
> sending the system off for surplus.  They just couldn't -bear-
> spending a minute per disc removing the sled and tossing it back in
> the computer so that it might actually be -useful-.

To be fair, disposal is frequently done by fairly low-level staff whose
knowledge only extends to destroying the disk, or by stretched admin
staff who just don't have the time to deal with kit properly.

No I don't like it either, but in most cases a sledless machine (didn't
we start by talking about I^2's?) is still useful with an external disk
pack.